There's nothing I like more than a little open data and transparency! This Val shows you how to use the California Secretary of State Business Search as a faux-API and get notifications when records change. This lets you know when a business updates their records, changes their good-standing status, and so on.
Here's how to use it:
- Fork this val
- Open the California Secretary of State Search.
- Open your browser's inspector tools.
- Search for the business you're interested in, and click on its header row.
- Now, in the network tab of your developer tools, you should see a request that ends with
false. You'll find a number in that URL. Plug that number into the val at the spot at the top.
(We're almost there!)
Now just run the val and you should get a notification! If you want to get these intermittently, schedule the val. It's probably not necessary to run this more than once a week - businesses update these details very infrequently.
- opencorporates has a way better system for open data around businesses, but to get a free API key you need to be a nonprofit or a registered journalist, and I am neither. But if you are, use that!
- Thanks to America's laws around business registration, it's commonplace for businesses to mask their control and ownership by using registration agents and a few layers of corporate structure.